Thursday, September 1, 2011

About Today: Learn to Play Tennis

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
A while back, my friend Cathy, an avid tennis player, gave me a tennis lesson. We did very well, once I stopped shielding my face with the racquet.

Profile: The US Open
Now that the US Open is in full swing, I'm thinking about taking up tennis again. Mostly because my husband assures me he doesn't know how to play, either, and I think it would be funny for the other people on the court to watch us try to play.
See More About:  us open  tennis tournaments 

Buying a Tennis Racquet for a Beginner
The first challenge, for me, will be not to do what I always do when I take up a new sport: Buy the most ridiculously expensive version of the necessary equipment, on the theory that it will somehow make up for the fact that I don't know what I'm doing.

How to Serve
I am actually good at this. Well, relative to my other tennis-related skills.

Basic Backhand for Beginners
This is the stroke I associate most with tennis. It looks very tennis-y, somehow, in action. As if just doing it will cause you to sprout an awesome tennis dress. (Or whites, if that's more your thing.)
See More About:  tennis backhands  photo tennis lessons 

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
No Double-Dip Recession?
Venus Williams Withdraws From US Open
JCPenney Pulls Offensive Shirt
How Much Should You Save for Retirement
Video: How to Make Peanut Butter Cups
Best Shoes for Fall

 

More from About.com

Favorite Summer Frozen Drinks
Blended with ice or chock full of fresh fruit, these yummy drinks will liven up any warm-weather gathering. More>



Best Frozen Summer Desserts
Ten easy, delicious, make-ahead desserts that will cool you down on the hottest of summer days. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2011 About.com
 
 
Follow us on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment